The creative writing program at Waldorf College offers an engaging and innovative curriculum that provides students with an opportunity to develop artistic expression and hone literary technique through intensive courses in writing, one-on-one sessions with the faculty, and workshops with nationally renowned writers.
- a small, vibrant group of undergrads that are passionate about writing
- the chance to work one-on-one with professors in and outside of the classroom setting
- extracurricular events such as Open Mic Nights, Distinguished Visiting Writer Series, poetry readings, and conferences
- Waldorf’s annual literary magazine the Waldorf Literary Review
- The opportunity to submit to the Waldorf Literary Review
- Students in the program are also able to edit and produce the Waldorf Literary Review
- faculty members that are both outstanding teachers and published writers
- multiple scholarship opportunities
- reading a variety of contemporary literature
- discussing themes to apply to one’s own writing
- analyzing techniques of writing in seminar-style classes
- engaging with passionate faculty and peers
- workshops to encourage and develop skill and practice the craft of writing
Curriculum and Courses:
For a complete list of courses offered click here .
“Coming to Waldorf, I really did not know what to do with my life. Then I took a couple of English and Writing courses and I knew Creative Writing was my vocation. All the professors in the department are great and they are always there if you need advice on anything- research papers, classes, life. There is also a wide variety of classes to take: Nonfiction, Fiction, Poetry. You can chose whatever writing course you love to write. There are so many courses you can take, it’s hard to choose just one! You can also join the literary magazine, the Waldorf Literary Review, or complete a senior thesis. It has been a wonderful experience being in the Creative Writing program and heading into my senior year, I could not be happier!”
– Molly Maschka, Senior
Other Program Highlights:
The program offers a variety of creative writing scholarships for undergraduate students, which are renewable for four years. The program also offers scholarships for high school students through the North Iowa High School Creative Writing Contest. Scholarships are awarded to students with scholastic achievements and high quality writing ability.
Students are also encouraged to submit their work to the Salveson Prizes in Poetry and Prose each year.
For more information, or to talk to a faculty member, click here.